Discover our unique campus and living labs for learning
Located in Southwest Florida, our campus and region serve as a living laboratory where life-enhancing discoveries are made. We're an incubator for entrepreneurs who fuel economic development and a cultural resource that enriches life on and around campus. Our sports teams energize the entire region. Inspiring those who inspire others — that’s The FGCU Effect.
Florida Gulf Coast University’s comprehensive undergraduate and graduate programs prepare students to excel and innovate. Our students, alumni, faculty and staff are actively engaged and environmentally conscious citizens. They serve their communities and inspire others by leading, doing and making a difference.
Faculty members represent a diverse collection of scholars and researchers with a strong commitment to teaching and service. Unlike most universities, we do not have a tenure system so faculty members work on multi-year contracts. And, because the university is relatively young, it tends to attract professors with entrepreneurial spirits, those who are excited by the prospect of creating new programs and initiatives that benefit students and the community.
Looking Ahead: FGCU Strategic Roadmap
The FGCU Roadmap initiative is focused on gathering input from students, faculty, staff, and the communities we serve to understand our strategic priorities for the coming years. This input will help expedite the formulation of our next strategic plan shortly after the new president arrives in early 2023. Get details
Looking Back: FGCU 2017 Strategic Plan
FGCU Core Values and Principles – Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
At FGCU we share the following core values and principles:
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion are central to our commitment to excellence.
- We value, embrace, and protect people of all races, ethnicities, genders, religions, abilities, and sexual orientations.
- We collectively stand against any individual or group that practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate expressions, or disrespect.
- We expect that as individuals and as an institution we exhibit the highest levels of respect, integrity, fairness, and honesty.
- We have a fundamental responsibility to educate beyond our campus and serve as leaders by modeling our values and principles in our community.
- We serve to be a convener of informed, critical and respectful conversation that leads to diversity, inclusion, equity, and justice as part of social transformation.
- We support other organizations in SWFL who share our values, principles, and commitments.
FGCU Faculty Senate
FGCU Staff Advisory Council
FGCU Student Government
FGCU United Faculty of Florida
FGCU United Campus Ministries
FGCU Black Faculty and Staff Association
FGCU President & FGCU Executive Vice President and Provost
Alumni by the numbers
93% Have a positive opinion of their student experience
90% Are very positive about FGCU and its future
90% Are working full or part time
70% Work in their field of study
33% Have completed additional education since graduation
20% Have started their own business
Academics by the numbers
- 83% of classes taught by full-time faculty
- 63 undergraduate degrees
- 26 master's degrees
- 17 academic certificates
- 7 doctoral degrees
- 6 colleges | 5 schools
Successful by any measure since 1997
Enrollment has more than quintupled to 16,000 as FGCU has attracted students from 45 states and more than 85 countries. From 200 students living on campus in 1998, we've grown to more than 4,700. And our student body is increasingly diverse, rising from 12.6% minority in 1997 to 30% today.
Making our mark on the world
Our students have been selected for exclusive internships at NASA, the Scripps Institution of Oceanography and the White House. They present research at conferences across the country and provide health care in Third World countries during school breaks. They've earned Fulbright fellowships and master's degrees at Oxford. They enjoy one of the highest graduate employment rates among the state’s universities and fuel the economy through entrepreneurship that creates jobs. That's The FGCU Effect.
Explore our community connections