Degree Certification and Diploma Information
The degree certification process takes approximately four to five weeks after the official end of the term. Diplomas will be mailed within eight to ten weeks after the official end of the term. Please see below for more detailed information.
Certification of DegreesToggle More Info
- Degrees will be certified by the colleges after the official end of the term.
- Colleges will forward degree certifications to Records & Registration for the purpose of posting to the academic transcript and diploma printing.
- Transcript requests received with "Hold for Degree" checked, would be issued once the degree has been certified and posted.
- You can confirm that your degree has been awarded by logging into Gulfline and navigating to the Student tab>Student Records>Academic Transcript>Submit>Degrees Awarded Section.
- Should an employer or graduate school need proof that you graduated before you have received your diploma, you can order an official transcript which will reflect your awarded degree. Degree verifications can also be initiated through the National Student Clearinghouse.
- If your degree has not been awarded, you should contact your academic advisor.
Diploma MailingToggle More Info
- Diplomas are mailed to the address provided by the student on the application to graduate. In order to change your diploma mailing address, you must email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Diplomas can be mailed to international addresses, however, the University will not be held responsible for lost, damaged, or incomplete addresses.
- Any unclaimed diplomas or any diplomas returned as undeliverable by the USPS will be discarded after one year and must be reordered with full payment.
- A replacement or duplicate diploma can be purchased for $10. The request will be processed concurrently with end of term diplomas and in the format that is currently being used.
- If a name change has taken place since graduation, the new name may be updated on the diploma; however, the original name will appear on the transcript, unless the student is currently enrolled and submits a Change of Name form.
- Diplomas that may have been damaged in the shipping process can be returned to Records & Registration to be reissued. Please email email@example.com to initiate this process.
- Financial holds prevent grades, transcripts, and diplomas from being released. Diplomas are not automatically mailed after holds have been lifted. Once all holds are lifted, the student must contact the Department of Records & Registration at firstname.lastname@example.org to have their diploma released.
Diploma InformationToggle More Info
- Only the degree type (B.A., B.S., or M.A., etc.) and the major along with University honors (cum laude, magna cum laude, or summa cum laude) are displayed on the diploma. Minors and concentrations are not listed, but are noted on the transcript.
- Diploma paper sizes: Associate of Arts (10 X 8), Baccalaureate (11 X 8 1/2) Masters and Doctorate (14 X 11).
- Students who apply for and satisfy requirements as a double major under the same baccalaureate degree type (B.A. or B.S.) within the same academic college (College of Arts & Sciences, College of Education, etc.) will receive one diploma that lists both majors.
- Students who apply for and satisfy requirements for two different baccalaureate degree types (B.A. or B.S.) will receive two diplomas.
- Once a degree has been awarded, subsequent coursework cannot be added to satisfy a second degree, major, or minor. Changes cannot be made to courses or grades except in cases of administrative error.
- Accents or special characters are only added to the diploma name by special request.
- Legal names, not preferred names are used on the diploma. A preferred first name can be used in lieu of the legal name in the Commencement program.
- Please refer to the Honors Recognition for GPA section of the University catalog for information used to determine baccalaureate honors. Honors indicated in the commencement program are tentative since current semester courses are not included.
- There are a small number of academic departments that offer certificates. Upon approval and notification to Records & Registration from the academic department, the awarding of the certificate is listed on the transcript. Contact the academic department offering the certificate program for more information.
PrivacyToggle More Info
- Your name will not appear in the Commencement program or be released to the media if you have completed a 'Request to Prevent Disclosure of Directory Information.'
- To remove the privacy notice and allow your name to be published, you must notify Records & Registration in writing at the same time you submit your application to graduate.