State Authorization

Programs Leading to State-Regulated Professional Licensure or Certification

This resource is intended to help students, applicants, and prospects better understand the connection that many FGCU programs have to state-regulated professional licensure or certification. While specific requirements can and often do vary by state, typically, requirements include earning a degree or other educational credential in the field from an institution and program that meet certain eligibility requirements in that state (e.g., accredited status). To be eligible to apply for licensure or certification, graduates must often meet additional criteria such as passing a state or national exam, working in field for a minimum period of time, and/or completing a certain number of clinical hours.

The FGCU programs listed below provide preparation for practicing in fields in which state-regulated professional licensure or certification may be available. If your career plans include pursuing licensure or certification, it is important to become educated on the credentialing requirements of the state in which you hope to practice. This page was created as a starting point to help connect you to this information. Clicking on the program of interest below will open additional information regarding state licensing outside of Florida and contact information for program personnel who can help answer specific questions in this regard and who will do their best to connect you to the credentialing requirements of the state in which you intend to practice.

FGCU is a member of SARA (State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements) and approved by the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements.


NC-SARA LogoAll programs at FGCU that lead to professional licensure meet Florida’s educational requirements for potential professional practice in Florida. Other states have their own requirements, and you’ll want to make sure your program meets criteria in your home state (and/or the state(s) where you intend to seek to practice after graduation and once professionally licensed). FGCU makes every effort to ensure information regarding educational requirements for licensure or certification is current. However, individual state requirements may and do change; additionally, even when a program meets educational requirements for licensure or certification (e.g., civil engineering, environmental engineering, etc.) state licensing boards may stipulate additional criteria (e.g. professional examination, background check, etc.). If you intend to pursue professional licensure or certification after graduating, we encourage you to contact the appropriate licensing board for guidance before beginning an academic program. Consequently, beyond the State of Florida we cannot make a determination at this time (whether upon graduation your program will satisfy educational requirements to obtain a license or certification in another state except where otherwise noted — e.g., accounting and engineering). You are therefore strongly encouraged to check licensing requirements in your state before beginning an academic program. We've provided a list of licensing boards below by College and professional program, or you can also contact us for guidance.

Need to File a Complaint?

Step 1) Follow the FGCU Student Complaint Resolution Process:

At FGCU, students are encouraged to resolve concerns and complaints informally by bringing the matter directly to the faculty or staff member. Faculty and staff are expected to respond to a student in a reasonable timeframe to assist in the resolution. 

Learn More

Step 2) Filed a grievance, but haven't gotten resolution at FGCU? File a complaint with the Florida Board of Governors:

If the student is not satisfied with the outcome of the complaint he/she may contact the, Florida Board of Governors, State University System, 325 W. Gaines St., Suite 1614, Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400, 800-245-0466; FL BOG – File a Complaint

Step 3) Filed a grievance, but haven't gotten resolution from the university or the Board of Governors?

Distance Education Students Enrolled through FL-SARA

Distance education students, who have completed the internal FGCU grievance process and the applicable state process as outlined by the Florida Board of Governors, may appeal non-instructional complaints to the FL-SARA PRDEC Council. For additional information on the complaint process, visit:

Visit FL-SARA Complaint Process page

Additional Disclosures

The Higher Education Opportunity Act requires colleges and universities that participate in federal student aid programs to disclose certain information to current and prospective students and to university employees.

Consumer Information DETAILS

Experience FGCU