EducationToggle EducationPhD (1982) Biology, Bowling Green State University, OH
MA (1978) Biology, St. Cloud State University, MN
BSc (1976) Botany, University of Connecticut
SpecialtiesToggle SpecialtiesAlgal and Cyanobacteria: taxonomy, physiological ecology, aquatic biology and harmful algal blooms.
Research and Teaching InterestsToggle Research and Teaching InterestsAll things related to algae and cyanobacteria, with emphasis on freshwater blooms, including taxonomy, genetics, population dynamics and human health impacts. Utilizing a variety of tools and an experimental approach, carefully unravel the mysteries behind the success of these organisms.
Courses OfferedToggle Courses OfferedFreshwater Algae
Harmful Algal Blooms
- Steinman, A.D., Havens, K.E., Aumen, N.G., James, R.T., Jin, K-R., Zhang, J. and Rosen. B.H. 1999. Phosphorus in Lake Okeechobee: Sources, sinks and strategies. in:Phosphorus Biogeochemistry in Subtropical Ecosystems. Reddy, K.R., O’Connor, G.A., and Schelski, C.L. (eds.). Lewis Pub.
- Rosen, B. H., Shambaugh, M., Watzin, G., Boyer, Smith, F., Ferber, Eliopoulos, L. C., and Stangel, P.2001. Evaluation of Potential Blue-green Algal Toxins in Lake Champlain (2000); UVM School of Natural Resources.
- Boyer, G.L., Watzin, M.C., Shambaugh, A.D., Satchwell, M.F., Rosen, B.H., and Mihuc, T. 2004. The Occurrence of Cyanobacteria Toxins in Lake Champlain in: Lake Champlain: Partnerships and Research in the new Millennium, Kluwer Academic/Plenum Press. pp. 241-258, Manley, T.O., Manley, P.L. and Mihuc, T.B, (eds)
- Rosen, B.H. 2005. Potential Health Issues Associated with Blue-Green Algae Blooms in Impoundments, Ponds, and Lakes. Water Encyclopedia: Surface and Agricultural Water. Lehr, J. H. and Keeley, J, (eds).
- Berger, P., Brooks J., Evens. T., Gobler, C., Graham, J., Hyde, J., Karner, D., O'Shea, K., Paul, V. Paerl, H., Piehler, M. Rosen, B., Santelmann, M., Tester, P., and Westrick, J. 2008. Cyanobacterial Harmful Algal Blooms: Chapter 9: Causes, Prevention, and Mitigation US EPA Agency Papers.
- Rosen, B.H., Loftin, K.A., Smith, C.E., Lane, R.F., and Keydel, S.P. 2010. Microphotographs of cyanobacteria documenting the effects of various cell-lysis techniques: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report, 2010–1289, 203 p.
- Bradley, W.G., Borenstein, A.R., Nelson, L.M., Codd, G.A., Rosen, B.H., Stommel, E.W., and Cox, P.A. 2013. Review Article: Is exposure to cyanobacteria an environmental risk factor for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and other neurodegenerative diseases? Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Frontotemporal Degeneration. v. 15:5-6, 325-333.
- Rosen, B.H., and St. Amand, Ann, Field and laboratory guide to freshwater cyanobacteria harmful algal blooms for Native American and Alaska Native Communities: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2015–1164, 44 p.,
- Rosen, B.H., and Mareš, Jan, Catalog of microscopic organisms of the Everglades, Part 1—The cyanobacteria: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2016 –1114, 108 p.
- Rosen, B.H., Davis, T.W., Gobler, C.J., Kramer, B.J., and Loftin, K.A. 2017. Cyanobacteria of the 2016 Lake Okeechobee Waterway harmful algal bloom: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2017–1054, 34 p., https://doi.org/10.3133/ofr20171054
- Rosen, B.H., Loftin, K.A., Graham, J.L., Stahlhut, K.N., Riley, J.M., Johnston, B.D., and Senegal, S., 2018, Understanding the effect of salinity tolerance on cyanobacteria associated with a harmful algal bloom in Lake Okeechobee, Florida: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2018–5092, 32 p.
- Kramer, B.J., Davis, T.W., Meyer, K.A., Rosen, B.H., Goleski, J., Oh, G., and Gobler, C.J. 2018. Nitrogen limitation, toxin synthesis potential, and toxicity of cyanobacterial populations in Lake Okeechobee and the St. Lucie River Estuary, Florida, during the 2016 State of Emergency event. PLoS ONE 13(5): e0196278.
- Paine, E.C., Slonecker, E.T., Simon, N.S., Rosen, B.H., Resmini, R.G., and Allen, D.W. 2018. Optical characterization of two cyanobacteria genera, Aphanizomenon and Microcystis, with hyperspectral microscopy. J. of Appl. Remote Sens. 12(3), 036013
- Rosen, B.H. 2019. Freshwater Cyanobacterial Blooms: A Review. Encyclopedia of Water, Wiley (in press).
Conference PresentationsToggle Conference Presentations
- Rosen, B.H. 2011. Cyanobacterial toxicology: composition, production and impacts(Invited speaker), Cyanobacteria and Human Health: Merging Ecology, Epidemiology and Neurologic Disorders Workshop, Bowdoin College, ME, Aug 4-6.
- Rosen, B.H. 2012. Why Cyanobacteria Dominate the World: Ecological Strategies. 8th National Monitoring Conference, Portland, OR, Apr 30-May 4.
- Rosen, B.H., J. Komárková, and J. Komárek. 2012. Cyanobacteria Species from Florida Everglades Floc. 9th International Wetlands Conference, Orlando, FL Jun 3-8.
- Rosen, B.H. 2015. Cyanobacterial Ecological Strategies. Collecting Global Expertise to address the problem of harmful algal blooms: NSF & NOAA-sponsored workshop, Bowling Green State University, OH. Apr 13-14.
- Rosen, B.H., 2015. Cyanotoxins in our water: neurotoxins, hepatotoxins and climate change. Lake Superior Binational Program, Sept. 16 (Invited speaker).
- Rosen, B.H. 2016 and S. Rushforth. Shedding Light on Cyanobacteria. EPA Nation-wide webinar, May 11th. (Invited speaker). [audio].
- Rosen, B.H. 2016. Ecological Strategies that Help Cyanobacteria Dominate the World. American Society of Limnology and Oceanography, Santa Fe, NM Jun 6-9. (Invited)
- Rosen, B.H., 2016. Understanding Harmful Algal Blooms and their potential impacts related to climate change. Tribal Land and Environment Forum, Uncasville, CT, Aug 16-19. (Invited speaker).
- Rosen, B.H., 2016. Guide to Harmful Freshwater Algal Blooms for Native American Communities. FEMA Region IV & Tribal Nations Workshop. Atlanta, GA, Aug 23-25. (Invited speaker)
- Rosen, B.H., 2016. Cyanobacteria Ecological Strategies and Impacts on Human Health, 36th Annual Symposium of the North American Lake Management Society (workshop instructor), Nov 1-4, Banff, CA
- Rosen, B.H., 2016. Freshwater Cyanobacteria Identification, 36th Annual Symposium of the North American Lake Management Society (workshop instructor), Nov 1-4, Banff, Canada
- Rosen, B.H., 2016. Cyanobacteria Ecological Strategies and Impacts on Human Health; Cyanobacteria Identification (invited Workshop leader); American Water Works Association, 2016 Water Quality Technology Conference & Exposition, Indianapolis, IN, Nov 13-17.
- Paine E.C., T. Slonecker, N.S. Simon, B.H. Rosen, R. Resmini, D.W. Allen. 2017. Optical Characterization of two cyanobacteria genera, Aphanizomenon and Microcystis, with Hyperspectral Microscopy. (seminar at the National Institute of Standards and Technology, June 7th)
- Rosen, R. Elliott, G. Ehlinger, K. Keefe, S. Traxler. 2017. Development of the RECOVER five year plan. Greater Everglades Ecosystem Restoration Conference, Coral Springs, FL, Apr 17-20.
- Davis, T., B. Kramer, K. Meyer, G. Oh, B. Rosen, and C. Gobler. 2018. Spatiotemporal Survey of the 2016 Lake Okeechobee and St. Lucie River Cyanobacterial Bloom, International Association for Great Lake Research, IAGLR 2018, Toronto, Jun. 18-22.
- Graham, J.L., N.M. Dubrovsky, G.M. Foster, L.R. King, K.A. Loftin, B.H. Rosen, and E.A. Stelzer, 2019. Potential for Cyanotoxin Occurrence in the Nation’s Large Rivers. 11th National Monitoring Conference, Denver, CO, Mar. 25-29.
- Rosen, B.H., Newman, S., Saunders, C., Trexler, J., Harvey, J., Coronado-Molina, C., and Tate-Bolt, E. 2019. Algae indicators of ecosystem response in the Decomp Physical Model High-flow experiment. Greater Everglades Ecosystem Restoration Conference, Coral Springs, FL, Apr 23-26.
Grants & AwardsToggle Grants & AwardsHarmful Algal Bloom Dynamics in Lake Okeechobee: US Army Corps of Engineers (2019-2021; $2,400,000) in cooperation with the US Geological Survey, Nova Southeastern University, Florida Gulf Coast University, South Florida Water Management District and Florida Department of Environmental Health.
Back to Profile List